Kyou Kara Maou
I am alive! Yes, it has been a while. Yes, I am appropriately shameful.
Moving on.
I finally started watching a series my husband watched a long time ago called Kyou Kara Maou. I knew I would like it (since my husband has not yet steered me wrong) but I was wary of starting to watch it because there were 78 episodes- that's dangerous for me, since I will neglect schoolwork sometimes when a series is especially engaging. I have managed to control myself this time, though, so it has been slow work through the series. I managed to watch a lot while on vacation (thanks to the fabulous tiny laptop my mom gave me), and found it to be that perfect mix of vacation entertainment (I guess I could say reading since I d in fact read it.) It's a little light and fluffy without being overwhelmingly so, and has a really good mix of adventure thrown in.
In brief, this is the story of a 15 year old Japanese boy (Yuri) who gets sucked into another world where he is proclaimed king (Maou). The details of exactly WHY he is king aren't exactly clear at first. It is also not clear how this 15 year old high school student will make a good king, but trust me, he does. A big part of the enjoyment of the show is in slowly starting to trust Yuri and his judgment through the series. Another enjoyment for me personally is the vaguely shōnen-ai aspects of the show. For instance, two male characters become engaged, and no one thinks anything of it (except Yuri). Many of the male characters become infatuated with Yuri in a way that suggests a high school crush. There is very little romance in the show, but these little touches keep it entertaining for me. I may just be a freak, though. :)
What I have particularly enjoyed about Kyou Kara Maou is the pace. A lot of times, when a show has a long run, some of the episodes get really tedious. It's one thing to have a filler episode, it is quite another to fill half an episode with flashback material from two episodes before. Kyou Kara Maou has little reused content, which is nice, and even the filler episodes seem to further along the story. I have made it to episode 72, and at no point did I lose interest because they went off on an uninteresting side mission. Season three is currently airing, so it will be interesting to see if they can keep the pace up.
All in all, Kyou Kara Maou is a fun show with a fun plot. It's a great summer "read."
Moving on.
In brief, this is the story of a 15 year old Japanese boy (Yuri) who gets sucked into another world where he is proclaimed king (Maou). The details of exactly WHY he is king aren't exactly clear at first. It is also not clear how this 15 year old high school student will make a good king, but trust me, he does. A big part of the enjoyment of the show is in slowly starting to trust Yuri and his judgment through the series. Another enjoyment for me personally is the vaguely shōnen-ai aspects of the show. For instance, two male characters become engaged, and no one thinks anything of it (except Yuri). Many of the male characters become infatuated with Yuri in a way that suggests a high school crush. There is very little romance in the show, but these little touches keep it entertaining for me. I may just be a freak, though. :)
What I have particularly enjoyed about Kyou Kara Maou is the pace. A lot of times, when a show has a long run, some of the episodes get really tedious. It's one thing to have a filler episode, it is quite another to fill half an episode with flashback material from two episodes before. Kyou Kara Maou has little reused content, which is nice, and even the filler episodes seem to further along the story. I have made it to episode 72, and at no point did I lose interest because they went off on an uninteresting side mission. Season three is currently airing, so it will be interesting to see if they can keep the pace up.
All in all, Kyou Kara Maou is a fun show with a fun plot. It's a great summer "read."
Labels: adventure, anime, kyou kara maou, review

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home