Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Gunslinger Girl

13 eps
TV Series
Action/Drama

Hi there everyone this is my first post on this blog. It's nice to meet you all...my guess is that I'm talking to about 2 people but I like to introduce myself anyway. I'm one of those formal kinda guys. Anyway. I watch anime almost constantly so you're either going to get a lot of posts from me or I'm going to watch so many that I just don't feel like writing them all up and then I quit all together. I have adult ADHD...what can I say...it seeps into everything I do...case in point...there's a review in here somewhere!

Gunslinger Girl is about a semi-secret government agency in Italy that does some pretty despicable but cool as shit stuff. They keep an eye out for mortally wounded female girls between a certain age. They rebuild their entire bodies with artificial muscles and organs. They brainwash them and then they turn them in to highly trained assassins....and it works like a charm :)

The anime itself is really centered more around how each of the individual girls handle being cyborgs than anything else. It's got plenty of action but there's also a fair amount of talking and hanging out in the dorms as the girls interact with each other and their handlers. Parts of the show brought a tear to my eye and others got my heart pumping with excitement. Over all I would say the the show is a little scattered as it suffers from the feeling of being rushed and ultimately going nowhere just like most 13 episode series. Every episode sans a couple focuses on a different cyborg and there is no coherent plot arch. After the last episode nothing is resolved but since no real questions were asked you don't feel like any go unanswered...how convenient :) Anyway...it's a short series and there's lots of action and the characters are well written so I would give it a general thumbs up as long as you realize that you'll definitely be left wanting more by the end credits.

Tommy

3 Comments:

Blogger Karin Dalziel said...

I'm getting this one now.

I kind of like 13 episode series... sorta refreshing after all the Bleach and Naruto I've watched.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Karin Dalziel said...

I tried to dl this last night and it won't grr.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Tommy said...

Well if you two ever come around the dallas area I'll have to let you borrow my entire collection won't I?

SOMETIMES I prefer the the one season series BUT only when they give me a coherent plot and a complete story arch. I've only seen a couple series do it right and I actually can't think of them off the top of my head. I prefer the two season jobs. I just feel like they have mastered a good time to get everything the watcher needs out there without getting stale. I've only seen a handful of the extra long series and well...they, frankly, usually disappoint. The episodes get trite with lots of filler. With the exception of a couple of course. But Inu Yasha is the biggest culprit...loved that series while it was on...after I watched them all I just about killed someone.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home