Sunday, March 18, 2007

Karin

24 Episodes
TV Series
Comedy/Romance/School/Vampires


So I finally finished the anime that bears my venerable colleague's name. Finally.

This series starts out rather simply, not really taking itself too seriously at first. It follows a high school girl, who happens to be a vampire, through a difficult period of adjustment to her status as a non-human. Karin isn't your ordinary vampire though. Her powers simply don't mesh with those of the rest of her family. Yes, family...don't think too much about this. If you end up thinking too much about the vampire lore you're familiar with you just aren't going to be happy with this series. Anyway...so instead of sucking blood or, more importantly, emotions out of her victims, like the rest of her family, Karin deposits blood/emotions into her victims. Keep in mind unlike tradition the victims of the family don't die...they simply wake with an absence of specific negative emotions depending on the taste of the vampire that bit them. Whew...I hope all that makes sense...I just saved you a lot of time and confusion if it does by the way as most of this is unclear during first several episodes of the series.

So Karin does her thing in high school and as many many an anime before it: she has a crush on one of the boys at school. He's a little weird. They do this whole running gag about him and his eyes that I really don't get but that's beside the point. So she being in love with him and him being depressed about his mom not having a job is the main plot arch. There's a GILF thrown into the mix for a little seriousness and suspense/action, an idiot vampire hunter that falls in love with Karin and the rest of the family all add their own quirkiness to the mix.

All said, I thought this was an enjoyable and fun anime. The intro makes you think there's a LOT more fan service than there actually, which is either a plus or a minus depending on who you are. The vampire plot remains interesting but it kinda leaves you wanting more darkness and danger. Since Karin can come out during the day (didn't I mention that?) it really just ends up making this series a standard school anime with a pinch of vampire intrigue thrown in. But the whole time you seriously just want her to bite that man of hers...if only so she'll shut up about NOT biting him. I'd recommend this for people who like romance or school anime and I would remind those looking for something darker to just stay away...for your own protection!

Tommy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home