Saturday, February 17, 2007

Zero no Tsukaima

13 Episodes (Second season in progress)
TV Series
Comedy/Adventure/Romance (Kinda)

I finished watching Zero no Tsukaima a while ago. The 13 episodes of the first season go quickly. The premise is that a magical school girl named Louise summons a boy from Japan as her familiar- which, basically, means slave. The series brings Harry Potter to mind, what with the magical school going kids and all. I have to admit, I was a bit turned off by the slave concept in the beginning, but I'm glad I watched the show.

Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière (yes, I copy pasted that) is from a magical family, but is pretty bad at magic. When it comes time to summon a familiar, she summons a human from another world- Saito Hiraga, a Japanese high school student. The summoning appears to be an accident- poor Saito was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course, summoning a "commoner" (non magical person) in funny clothes earns Louise much scorn- especially since he does not obey her. She further reinforces her nickname "Louise the Zero."

Saito, though unable to use magic, has some powers of his own in this world. He can weild any weapon - or anything intended to be used as a weapon- expertly. This talent earns him respect among the other commoners and even a certain amount among the nobles. As one might expect, there is an ongoing power struggle between Saito and Louise, do to the fact that she sees him as a familiar (at least in the beginning) and he does not. But, also to be expected from an anime, a sorta sweet love story evolves.

The artwork in Zero no Tsukaima is lovely, though fairly standard. What can I say, I'm a sucker for big eyes and candy colored hair.

The wikipedia page says that another series is in the works- I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home